Looking for a Meatless Monday recipe that is not only tasty, but satisfies your comfort food craving? Well look no further, because this is it! I mean, who doesn’t love chicken pot pie, right? And if you can sneak more veggies into your meals, without having to sacrifice flavor or texture, why would you ever choose the disease causing, fattening alternative?
Vegan Chicken For Meat Lovers
Although the original chicken pot pie recipe (by Cristina Ferrare)was made with real chicken and other animal products, you’ll never taste the difference, and you could easily fool your omnivorous and carnivorous guests with this vegan version.
The meat substitute that I prefer is the most authentic tasting meat-free chicken alternatives that I’ve ever seen or tasted. The company that makes it really has the texture, look and flavor down to a true science, and thanks to the non-GMO soy and pea protein in the product, you’ll get a whopping 20 grams of protein per 3 ounce serving.
This meal is nutrient dense and filling on its own, but you could pair it with a salad, to get some extra, raw greens into your meal as well.
- 2 C Meat Free Chicken Chopped (I suggest Beyond Meat brand Beyond Chicken Grilled Strips)
- 1/2 C Frozen, Organic Sweet Petite Peas (standard organic peas can be substituted if necessary)
- 1 Organic Russet Potato Diced
- 1 1/2 C Organic Carrots Chopped
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1/2 C Organic Onions Chopped
- 1/4 C Sprouted Organic Spelt Flour (for gluten free, try whole grain oat, almond or rice flour)
- 2 C Imagine Brand, No Chicken Broth
- 1 TBSP Organic Olive Oil
- 1 TBSP Vegan Butter (I suggest Earth Balance brand, Vegan Buttery Sticks)
- 3/4 C Organic Cornmeal
- 3/4 C Sprouted Organic Spelt Flour (for gluten free, try whole grain oat, almond or rice flour)
- 1 TBSP Aluminum Free Baking Powder
- 1 1/2 TBSP Organic Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 3/4 C Non Dairy Milk (I suggest soy, almond, cashew or flax milk)
- 1 TBSP Flax Seeds, Freshly Ground Into A Powder Like Substance
- 2 TBSP Organic Sunflower or Flax Oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Boil diced potato and chopped carrots until slightly tender. Drain or remove from water and set aside
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil and vegan butter on low. Add chopped onions and saute until clear, then add flour and mix together until well blended
- While onions are cooking, heat vegan chicken broth in microwave until hot, but not boiling
- Slowly whisk heated vegan chicken broth into onion and flour mixture and cook over medium heat until thickened and bubbling
- Add chopped vegan chicken, potato, carrots, frozen peas, salt and pepper to the saucepan and stir together
- Spray a 2 Qt oven safe, glass baking dish with cooking spray (I suggest coconut oil spray) and pour contents of saucepan into the baking dish
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a bowl and set aside
- Combine 1 TBSP freshly ground flax seeds with 3 TBSP water and whisk until you have reached the consistency of an egg
- Combine non dairy milk, oil and flax seed mixture in a second bowl and whisk together
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix well
- Spoon or pour evenly over pie filling, then place in middle rack of oven to cook
- Chop, dice and boil your carrots and potato one day in advance, to save time
- If you can't prepare the potato and carrots in advance, I suggest that you use the boiling time to chop the vegan chicken and get all of your cornbread crust ingredients out and into their respective bowls.
Gina became passionately obsessed about spreading the message of natural healing after transforming her health and healing her body of life-long conditions with the power of a plant-based diet.
Please note: Information provided on this website is presented for educational and entertainment purposes only and is not intended to diagnose, prevent, treat, mitigate or cure any medical condition. The information is not intended to replace medical advice or treatments prescribed by a qualified healthcare professional. It is simply intended as a sharing of knowledge and information based on the opinions, research, and experience of the author.
Latest posts by Gina Bonanno Lemos (see all)
- Celebrate Mother’s Day And Take Care Of Yourself For Your Loved Ones - May 12, 2019
- Grand Opening Of Vegan Ice Cream Shop In Orange, California - August 17, 2018
- CBD Proven To Kill Breast Cancer - July 26, 2018